Origin of the Tudor Dynasty
The Dog and Hedgehog pub is located in the north-west corner of the Green, near to the Church of St. James the Greater. According to the amateur historian Arthur Tomlin the Dog and Hedgehog was built around 1715 to accommodate the ever increasing traffic from the Ashby canal that was completed in 1804. Business continued to grow through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and despite closing briefly for three years in 2008 it has served the local community for over 250 years.
Throughout its history it has remained largely unchanged and therefore retains a lot of the characteristics of an old English pub.
Rumour has it that the Dog and Hedgehog's name is derived from a 19th century victorian engraving showing a dog looking quizzically at a hedgehog captioned "A Rough Customer". This engraving served as a model for the inn sign and is mentioned in the Wordsworth Dictionary of Pub Names. A lot of rural pubs reference hunting in their name and were often located close to the village green where the huntsmen and women could gather on horseback for a stirrup cup before galloping off into the countryside.
Features & Facilities
White Swan - Stoke Golding
0.9 miles away
Three Horseshoes - Stoke Golding
1.0 miles away
George and Dragon - Stoke Golding
1.1 miles away
 Larwood, Jacob and John Camden Hotten. The History Of Signboards. London: J.C. Hotten, (1866: 162).